Friday, July 21, 2006

Dare #2 You Did What?

The dare this week is 'You did WHAT?'. You can interpret that any way you want. We’d love you to take us up on the dares and share a link to your layout in an online gallery or email a pic to RANDLGRAY@xtra.co.nz (100kb or less). We will then choose one or two to share with everyone on the blog. The deadline for dare #2 is Wednesday July 26 at 6pm. But please do share any dares you participate in completed after the deadline. We'd love to see what you come up with.

My layout is about John's struggle with mental illness. He suffers from bi-polar disorder which greatly affects and disrupts our daily life. We've been going through a rough patch these past months with his depression having a major impact on our relationship. I thought long and hard about making this the topic for this dare but we're pretty open about his illness and I hope to inspire others to also document the ugly side of life (though not necessarily in public like this) because I believe it shapes us into who we are.
The journaling reads: I am so sick of this bi-polar beast ruling not just your life but also mine. How do you justify sleeping for 12-14 hours each night when you are a family man? Where's the balance? Let's just hope that in the future we can see the humour in it, but it's certainly no joke living it now!

Edited to add: the background is done with paint.

Marieke




14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marieke, good on you for sharing the good and the bad and the ugly. Hugs for you. Now have you used pastels there in the background?

9:50 pm  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Thanks for sharing Marieke. Wouldn't it be great if life could be lived without those blackholes. I will be thinking of your family.

10:26 pm  
Blogger Delys said...

This is an angry Lo and Im am so pleased that you have shown us this. I havent seen it myself but have people I know who have bi polar But really dont know the nightmare you are going through. Thank you for sharing Marieke! I just love the paint and the Photshop imaging?

10:31 pm  
Blogger Monique said...

Wow its strong alright, but good on you for getting it out there Marieke!

10:55 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

brave layout ... thanks for sharing. I have a rellie with bipolar but I don't live with her day-to-day (and her episodes are predominantly manic rather than depressive) so isn't a day-to-day coping strategy for me.
Love the painted background and dramatic photographic texture.

11:39 pm  
Blogger Chris Millar said...

Brilliant Marieke. Well documented and captured. Thanks for sharing this subject with us.

9:37 am  
Blogger Christi said...

Marieke - I share your pain. My husband isn't bi-polar but he does suffer from depression. I'm where you are, living with the need for constant sleep and just not being a happy person to be around. What a fabulous layout!

2:10 pm  
Blogger Ali said...

I hear ya baby, I hear ya!!!!
I know how hard it is being a passenger on the 'Bi Polar Express'.

LOVE this layout, not quite brave enough to create something so real quite yet, so thanks for this!

Love and hugs

5:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing Marieke, great lo & journalling, love the way you have painted the background.

2:31 pm  
Blogger Sharon said...

All I can say is WOW!! Amazing page - so raw and real. Sorry to hear you are going through tough times Marieke. Mental illness is such a tough thing to live through.

8:26 pm  
Blogger Shani kowalczyk said...

Great layout Marieke. I think it is fantastic that you are open and talking about it, let alone doing a great layout on it. I have a close friend whose brother is the same, and it is a journey and a half. Have a lovely day :-)

9:08 am  
Blogger Tracy said...

Wow amazing lo, love the background and title. Thanks for sharing some of your story Marieke

8:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fabulous Marieke. Your lo is a wonderfully insightful and great therapy.

2:08 am  
Blogger Lara said...

wow Marieke - this is really powerful! Good on you for sharing. The whole mood of the LO is stunning in what it conveys.

8:18 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home